About PROTECT Week
The average victim of elder financial abuse loses upwards of $120,000. Recognizing financial abuse as the most common type of elder abuse, and accepting responsibility as a first-line defense, Maryland nonprofit financial counseling agency, Guidewell Financial Solutions is leading a statewide campaign in partnership with Maryland Comptroller Peter Franchot and Maryland Attorney General Brian Frosh to “Protect Older Americans from Financial Exploitation” — declared PROTECT Week.
During PROTECT Week, January 8-12, 2018, Marylanders will have an opportunity to learn about the many forms of abuse, neglect and financial exploitation of older adults via the resources of more than a dozen local and national partners including Maryland Office of the Comptroller, the Maryland Office of the Attorney General, Guidewell Financial Solutions, EverSafe, AARP Maryland and AARP Fraud Watch Network, Maryland Department of Aging, Maryland Department of Veterans Affairs, Maryland Volunteer Lawyers Service, Maryland Consumer Rights Coalition, Wells Fargo, the Montgomery County Office of Consumer Protection, and The CASH Campaign of Maryland.
Calendar of Events
Monday, 1/8 PROTECT Week Kick-Off at Charlestown Retirement Community
A presentation on safeguarding financial well-being and preventing financial harm and elder financial abuse with special guests Co-Founder and General Counsel of EverSafe Elizabeth Loewy; Robert E. Frey from the Office of the Attorney General Consumer Protection Division; and Wells Fargo.
715 Maiden Choice Ln.
Catonsville, MD 21228
Tuesday, 1/9 PROTECT Week Tele-town Hall in Partnership with AARP
AARP Maryland and the AARP Fraud Watch Network will join forces for a telephone town hall with Guidewell Financial Solutions; Co-Founder and General Counsel of EverSafe Elizabeth Loewy; and Robert E. Frey from the Office of the Attorney General Consumer Protection Division to help Marylanders learn how to spot and avoid scams in order to protect themselves and their family members. The format is like a radio talk show, but audience members can listen in on a phone. Special guests will even take live questions from the audience.
This free event is on Tuesday, January 9 at 10:30 a.m.
Register for the tele-town hall here: https://vekeo.com/event/aarpmaryland-36619/
Wednesday, 1/10 PROTECT Week Fraud Prevention Presentation at Holiday Park Senior Center
The Montgomery County Office of Consumer Protection, ElderSAFE Maryland and others will address important policy issues on this first day of the 2018 Maryland Legislative Session in Annapolis.
Holiday Park Senior Center
3950 Ferrara Dr.
Silver Spring, MD 20906
Friday, 1/12 PROTECT Week Fraud Prevention Presentation at Charlotte Hall Veterans Home
A presentation for Maryland’s veteran community about tax assistance and resources available to help safeguard financial well-being featuring experts from the Office of the Attorney General Consumer Protection Division; AARP Maryland; and The CASH Campaign of Maryland.
Charlotte Hall Veterans Home
29449 Charlotte Hall Rd.
Charlotte Hall, MD 20622
- Wells Fargo (Hands On Banking)
- Maryland Comptroller (Tax Benefits for Seniors)
- Maryland Comptroller (Tax Assistance for Seniors)
- Maryland Comptroller (Identity Protection: Prevention, Detection and Victim Assistance)
- Maryland Department of Aging (Scams Alert: Top Scams Targeting Seniors)
- Maryland Volunteer Lawyers Service (Why Estate Planning Matters)
- CASH Campaign of Maryland (Maryland CASH Academy)
- EverSafe, Protecting a LifeTime of Savings (Free Trial)
- AARP (Ways to Protect Against ID Theft)
- Maryland Consumer Rights Coalition (Protect Yourself from Scams Targeting Seniors)
- Maryland Office of the Attorney General Consumer Guide for Marylanders
- Maryland Office of the Attorney General Senior Asset Recovery Unit
- Maryland Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulation
Download Fact SheetPROTECT Week Fact Sheet PDF
In The Press
- Proclamation From The Governor of Maryland
- The Baltimore Sun
- WIYY-FM 98 Rock
- Public News Service
- The Daily Record
- The Washington Post
- WMAR-TV (ABC2)
- Carroll County Times
- US News & World Report
- CityBizList Baltimore
- Baltimore Business Journal
- Cumberland Times-News
- Washington Times
- WBAL-AM Radio
- WBFF-TV Fox Baltimore, 1/8/18
- WYPR-FM Radio, 1/8/18
- WEAA-FM Radio, 1/8/18